20 October 2009

An Evening in Daegu

I don't "get out" much these days since I am, in many ways, nearly cloistered off in a hermitage when not teaching in the classroom or preparing to teach while in my study (a much better term than "office" to describe the space in which I do my work here). But there are a few occasions for some broader cultural enrichment.

One of those opportunities came this past weekend when I accompanied Abraham Lee, Director of the University's Office of International Affairs (that's Abraham on the far left in our little group photo), his staff and three international students to a musical performance at a newly constructed opera house on the campus of one of Handong's sister universities located in the city of Daegu -- about a one hour drive from Pohang.

It proved to be a delightful evening at the theater. The performance was Jekyll and Hyde, the musical. The acting troop was from the States so everything -- dialogue and songs -- was in English! Though I was familiar with the plot line from Robert Louis Stevenson's novel, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the quality of the musical's script, set design and overall production.

On the whole, the performance was a powerful statement about the inadequacy of science to resolve the deepest problems facing humanity. Dr. Jekyll's scientific experiments could not overcome the struggles between good and evil within him. Indeed, apart from his pleas to God, Jekyll could not find an antidote against the human harm and deadly actions perpetrated by the evil Mr. Hyde.


If the musical comes to the Fox in St. Louis, I would strongly recommend your attending and enjoying the performance as I did during a delightful evening in Daegu.

No comments:

Post a Comment