03 October 2009

I've been "Mobile"-lized!


In many ways, Korea is a "Next Generation" country. The latest advances in technology are quickly incorporated into the daily lives of Koreans. One of the most prominent evidences of this fact is the ubiquitous mobile phone. Everyone has one. Its the primary means of communication in very dimension of life.

Without a mobile, I've been virtually isolated for my first six weeks here. So, when Mr. Mok assisted me in setting up my pre-paid mobile phone service (They don't let foreigners enter into long-term contracts with their discounts and benefits) Thursday afternoon, I felt like I had truly made a significant step toward Korean enculturation.

Its a little slider manufactured by Samsung. (What did you think I would buy a Nokia?) Its no longer than the width of my palm and yet is quite easy to operate for both voice calls and texting. Oh yes, my number (from the States) is 8210-7214-1481. No charge to me for incoming calls or texts.

If you're feeling a bit adventurous, I invite you to enter the next generation by sending me an international text. I'll post the most interesting ones for everyone to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment