16 November 2009

For Every Sigh There is a Psalm

The Book of Psalms is for many their most favorite book in the Bible.  Bonhoeffer wrote from his prison cell, "I love the Psalms.  I read them every day."  I would have to say that over the years, the Psalms have indeed become my favorite book -- the portion of Scripture that I tend to turn to most often when I seek to pray, when I look for words to express thanksgiving and most especially, when I long to pour out my heart before God.

I cannot now recall where I first read or heard what is, I think, the best seven-word summary of the Psalms, but it often comes to mind, and I've encouraged others in their times of dryness with these words:  "For every sigh there is a Psalm." In the Psalms, we meet David in his triumphs and defeats.  We read Moses' wisdom and his praise.  And, we even hear the hearts of those little known poets of the Lord like Asaph and the sons of Korah.

It should be no surprise then that the words of a Psalm brought with them a refreshing breath of the Spirit to a dry heart.  For me, this past weekend, it was Psalm 94:18-19 where the unnamed psalmist writes:

I need only say, 'I am slipping,' for your faithful love, Yahweh, to support me; however great the anxiety of my heart, your consolations soothe me. (New Jerusalem Bible)

His consolations came Sunday morning as I heard an encouraging message emphasizing God's faithfulness to His promise from 2 Samuel 7. In that chapter, God covenants with David, and David's response was simply, "Lord, do as you have said."  Later that morning, I gave a talk to the KEBS class at Joyful Church.  The lesson assigned to me for the day -- God's promise to Noah, his family and all creatures on the earth that was marked-out by God's setting His bow in the sky.

The Lord has His way of reminding us of His care, His promise, His faithfulness that support us however great the anxiety of our hearts or however many the sighs of our souls.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Brother Cordell. I find the Psalms difficult reading because of my right brain-ness; I am not a poety guy. But the Psalms are becoming the place I go when I am experiencing dryness. Much love. Luke

    ReplyDelete