10 November 2009

Fuji Mountain's Majesty

Over the past five days, I have had the privilege of visiting Japan and attending a wonderful conference for missionaries and church planters. The conference was held at the Fuji Hakone Land Hotel, and this was the view of Mt. Fuji from the conference grounds. I felt beckoned each day to stay outside as I was transfixed by the mountain’s majesty.

I was invited to the conference by Laurie Siemers, my good friend and colleague from West Hills, our home church back in St. Louis. The church sends several people to serve with folks from churches in Virginia, Florida and a few other locales who together make-up the U.S. volunteer support team. The team handles the conference logistics as well as putting on a full children's ministry VBS-styled program for the missionary kids.

It’s a wonderful opportunity to serve those on the mission field and to encourage them in deed and in truth. (1 John 3:18). I met both young and seasoned missionaries from the States. In particular, I was greatly impressed by two young couples who had recently arrived in Japan and are currently in language training school. Their commitment and devotion to God's call upon their lives was a true challenge to my heart.


I also met several missionaries and seminary professors who are Korean and are now serving in Japan. I learned in much more personal ways how God shows the reality of His love to the Japanese people by moving these Korean brothers and sisters to serve them when the history between Japan and Korean has been one filled with evil acts against Korean men, women and children by Japanese soldiers, especially during the period of occupation in the early part of the 20th century. God has enabled many Koreans to love and reach out with forgiveness to those who were once their enemies and oppressors.


So while my eyes were filled with the awesomely majestic views of Mt. Fuji and the gloriously gorgeous colors of the autumn landscapes, my heart was even more encouraged by the dedication and devotedness of fellow followers of Christ who have heeded His call upon their lives and are now seeking to respond each day to the challenges of life in a culture that is in many ways is even more individualistic and self-focused than the ways of the West.

I will lift up my eyes unto the hills . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment