26 November 2009

He Who Would Be Great, Must Be . . .


. . . the servant of all.  Jesus embodied this truth throughout his life and especially in his death.  He also said, "I did not come to be served, but to serve and to give my life as a ransom for all."  This way of living, though, goes completely against the grain of human nature.  Our natural inclination is to be served, to be preferred over others, and above all, to be first.  What I am learning during my time here is that human nature is basically the same in any culture, and the way of life shown to us by Jesus is counter-cultural no matter where you are on earth.

This realization came home to me a couple of evenings ago when I decided to head over to Hyoam Restaurant -- the best place to eat on campus -- for my dinner.  It's a popular spot among both students and faculty.  When I arrived, the line was quite long, so I took up my place at the end and waited.  The special on Tuesday evenings is breaded pork tenderloin.  It tends to be one of the hottest sellers.  As I waited for the line to progress toward the front counter where orders are placed, I was hoping (okay, I was also praying) that there would be at least one pork tenderloin left.

When I had made it about half-way up to the counter, I noticed that someone was quickly moving up the line, passing by me and going straight to the front.  Hold-on a second!  I've been waiting in this line for nearly 10 minutes, patiently taking gradual steps along the way as I watched more and more people ahead of me walk away with their trays filled with the pork tenderloin special.  Who was this guy cutting-in line?  Only later did I learn (after the special sold-out and I ended up with the "not-so teriyaki" chicken) that he was a faculty member.  Evidently, the custom on campus allows faculty members to go to the head of the line.  They need not wait their turn with everyone else.  That's the local practice.

I thought about that for a while.  I had every right in this culture to go straight to the front of the line, and no one would object.  But then, I reflected.  What would be better for a teacher to do?  One who is attempting to teach in the classroom about living like a follower of Christ in every dimension life? Would it be better to prefer myself or to defer and wait my turn in line like all the students?  So now, I run the risk of acting in a manner not expected of faculty on this campus if I simply wait my turn in line for a meal.  I'm finding, though, that being "counter-cultural" is our calling when it comes to the commands of Christ.

Jesus took time on the night he was betrayed not only to share a last supper with his disciples, but also to wash their feet.  He calls us to follow him -- to love others just as he has loved us -- to take up the basin and the towel.



Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.  ~ Romans 12:10-11.

1 comment:

  1. Cordell, your conviction to be countercultural in this Korean culture that elevates professors is a breath of fresh air. Thank you for inspiring me to do likewise in the future.

    ReplyDelete