18 December 2009

So Just What is a Global University?

Today marks the conclusion of my first semester of teaching at Handong Global University.  My students completed their final exams in each of my three courses over the past two days.  Now, I have only to finish marking them and then to submit the final grades each has earned.  Here at the end of the fall term, I find myself pondering a question that has been presenting itself to me for some time now.  What is it about Handong that makes it a "global" university?  There are many "state" universities, quite a few "national" ones (Seoul National, just to name one) and even several "international" universities around the world.  But just what is a "global" university? 

Though it may not be apart of the university's name, there is hardly any institution of higher education these days that doesn't say that it is challenging and equipping its students to think and act globally. When communication can be accomplished at the speed of the Internet and transportation to nearly any location on six continents (I'm excluding Antarctica at this point, though I'm sure a few airlines will start making regular commercial flights there and back any day now) takes merely hours rather than days, weeks or months, this world has become in many respects a global community.

But what do we mean when we say we are seeking to think and to act globally? What’s more, how might I help others to begin to think and act in this way? How might the members of a university -- as a community of thinking, learning and doing -- authentically embody the idea of being global?  I'm sure there are some who have begun to engage this question in thoughtful ways.  My experience here over the past four months leads me to conclude that a part of the beginning of being a global university is found in students and faculty who are already living their lives for others.

I have found it in students who have come to this university wishing to be further formed and equipped to serve the needs of others wherever they might be called to serve.  For most, this means looking ahead to serving back in their home countries -- serving for the greater good of developing their home countries.  For some, it means being willing to go to any of the emerging countries in order to assist them in their development through the rule of law and the upholding of human rights.



These two young men are great examples of the students I'm describing.  Prophete (left) from Haiti is studying international law, and Edward (right) from Tanzania is studying management and economics.  Both demonstrate exceptional servant leadership qualities.  Both are planning to return to their home countries after completing their studies.  Both have taught me more of what it means to be apart of a global university. 

I don't know that anyone here would say that Handong has a corner on the "global" idea of a university, but in some very significant ways the students and faculty are living it out as they seek to live more diliberately and unreservedly for others here, at home or wherever they may be called to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment