27 August 2009

Foxes have Holes and Birds of the Air have Their Nests, but . . . .

When a disciple responds to the call to follow, it is not a given that he will always be provided a "place to lay his head." At a minimum, it would be inappropriate for the follower to complain about his living accommodations. So, I was thankful when told that I would have a "studio apartment" in the Mission House on the south side of campus. Though smaller than a typical room at your local Motel 6, it provides more than adequate space for all the bare necessities of life. As you can see, I have a bed and desk, table and chairs, small couch, tv (English channels are CNN & the BBC) and fully-equipped Asian kitchenette.




The combination "toilet, shower & sink" bathroom is around the corner from the frig, just to the right when coming in the front door. That's right the whole room is the shower. Though my apartment (room) is somewhat Spartan, I was quite overwhelmed when I was shown into my faculty office in the new All Nations Hall. (My office window is on the third floor, last one on the left before the glass atrium that extends to the corner tower)

The office itself entails more square footage than my apartment! So far, the support staff has moved in a desk, credenza, conference table and chairs, file cabinets, fan (the in-room air conditioning is not yet operational) and one of two bookcases. This afternoon my computer was installed and connected to the University network. I even have dial tone on my phone! Below you'll see a view looking into my office from the hallway. My nine boxes of books are still en route by ship sailing over the Pacific and are not due to arrive for several more weeks. As a result my bookcases will be a bit bare until then.

And, here's the view from the window side looking toward the door.


All in all, I'm very thankful for the provisions made for me here. The office is undoubtedly the largest I've ever had, even when I compare it to the one's I worked in during my years at Lewis Rice. The apartment will do me good during these first few months. When Sandy and I return after the first of the year, we'll be moved into the family apartments on the north side of campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment