26 August 2009

Happy Anniversary, My Love!


Today, August 26, 2009, marks the 31st anniversary of Sandy's and my marriage. It is the first anniversary through those 31 years that we have spent apart -- by the distance of half-way around the globe. The most difficult challenge I had to face in responding to the call to teach here at Handong was the reality that the first few months would be a time of separation from the one person whom God designed to complete me and counter-balance me in every dimension of my life.
When God calls us, though, He grants sustaining grace and the encouragement and support of both family and fellow members of the Body of Christ. He also has given us many great memories and experiences along our path walking together. The photo above was taken of us a little more than a year ago as we were celebrating our 30th anniversary near the top of Haleakala just as morning was dawning on the Island of Maui. My mother had given us a wonderful gift of a week's stay on the island. Shortly after the photo was taken, we hopped on touring bikes and road down the mountain as we enjoyed the amazing views of the island and the Pacific! It was without a doubt the highlight of our stay on Maui.
The Lord also gives sustaining grace through the wonders of technology. Both my laptop here and our home pc back in Fenton are equipped with webcams, so Sandy and I have been able to video call one another via Skype. Just being able to see her face in real time and hear her voice is a true source of joy. Thank you so much, Honey, for an amazing journey together over these 31 years! I'm so looking forward to the coming months when you will be joining me here. Until then, hold me in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment