06 September 2009

A Global Community

When I had taught here at Handong back in 2004, I met only the Korean and American faculty of the International Law School (HILS). I am beginning to realize now, however, that I have not only been welcomed into a cross-national relationship (Korean-American), but I'm also becoming a part of a truly global community. This came home to me Sunday morning after church in a particularly personal way -- through the fellowship extended to me by my new colleague Wilhelm Holzapfel from Germany.

Wilhelm (pictured above) gathered a group of students and faculty alike and treated us to a Kaffeeklatsch at his apartment on campus. Our small group reflected the wondrous diversity of this truly global university! We represented three continents and a variety of religious traditions. Our conversation ranged from sharing summer travel experiences to pondering theological paradoxes. It was a delightful time!

I think I may have even persuaded Wilhelm to consider becoming my German tutor so that I can pursue my language studies here and be prepared to sit for my German translation examination when I return to my study at Concordia Seminary this coming year. Who would of thought that I could come to Korea and study German while teaching American Law?

On my walk back across campus following our Kaffeeklatsch, my global experiences expanded to the Land Down Under as I met and exchanged "Good'aye, mate!" with Alex Bishop, an Aussie from Queensland. Later, I met a student from Congo. That makes five continents, now! The world is growing smaller and I hope we are all growing closer as brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment