05 September 2009

Korean Hospitality

Somehow I always had the idea that Southern hospitality was the hallmark for all who seek to welcome "strangers and sojourners" along the ways of life -- you know, Hebrews 13:2-styled hospitality. But after two weeks in here at Handong, I think the new standard is Korean! Not only was I treated to a delightful luncheon at a seaside Chinese restaurant this past Thursday with my colleagues from the School of Law, I was also invited, along with the other new international faculty to a lavish five-course dinner Friday evening. That's most of us in the picture above.

The dinner was hosted by the staff of the Handong International Church. That's Pastor Young Hwang (who is also a theology prof at the Univ) and his wife on the left, next to them is Kim (who is a first year law student at HILS) and her husband, Dave Becket, the associate pastor at HIC; then Prof. Harry Jee, my new friend from King's College in NYC; across the table is Pat & Kathy Talbot (Pat is a prof at HILS), to their left is Debi van Duin, new faculty in the Department of Language Education (DLE) and then yours truly. The kind soul who took the photo was Dr. Wilhelm Holzapfel. He's from Germany by way of South Africa and has been teaching life sciences at Handong for 2 1/2 years.

Wilhelm is a wonderful brother who I asked to tutor me in German while I'm here, so that I can make some progress on my PhD studies and maybe even be able to read Bonhoeffer in the language in which he wrote before the year is out! We'll see. Keep praying for me. By the way, Pastor Hwang has asked to consider teaching some theology classes next semester.



No comments:

Post a Comment