13 September 2009

Shopping with and for Mr. Mok

When you only have a bit of stuff you are faced with a question that requires more than a little reflection -- How much other stuff should I buy? While my hermitage is quite adequately furnished with a table and chairs, a desk, a bed, a wardrobe, a small couch and a refrig (Korean-sized), my office, on the other hand, is equipped with only the basics -- desk, conference table and chairs, and empty bookcases (still waiting for that shipment to arrive). While its Spartan character is appealing (at least at this point in my experience), my Teaching Assistant, suggested that there may be a few more furnishings that could make the office both more accommodating and functional.

It seems that Mr. Mok's interest in outfitting my office stems from an experience he had while studying one evening last week. He was using a corner of the conference table upon which to spread out his books and work on his case briefing. One of the older Korean faculty members came walking down the hall and noticed the light in the office; so, I'm told, this senior professor knocked and entered. Finding Young-hoon, he remanded him for using the conference table, admonished him to find a student desk and to put it in the corner of the room. Evidently, the appropriate place for a TA at a Korean university is in the corner of his professor's office out of sight.

The only available student desk Mr. Mok could find was one of the older, wooden-type that you and I used when we were back in high school -- not to comfortable and definitely too small! When Young-hoon related this experience to me, he expressed his willingness to take me shopping this weekend so that I might look for some "needed" office furniture. How could I say no. I had no problem with him working on the conference table, but I also knew that now is not the time to change the practices of an established culture.

Mr. Mok offered to pick me up Saturday morning at 11 and drive me to the district in Pohang where a large number of used furniture shops are located. Sounded like a fun adventure, and I was not disappointed. We visited no less than five used furniture shops and found not only a suitable work desk for Young-hoon, but also a nice large couch and some end tables. We did not, however, buy any of these items, since Mr. Mok advised me that it is better to call the shops back on the phone and negotiate a better price. If fact, delivery of the items is even included! Looks like we may very well be able to outfit the office with those few more "needed" furnishings for under $250 US!

We concluded our day of shopping with lunch at Pohang City's own KFC! A little taste of home -- extra crispy and with some local seasonings in addition to those 11 herbs and spices of the Colonel's. That was some fine eating! Not to be out done, though, Mr. Mok insisted on treating me to dessert at one of Pohang's newest establishments -- Starbucks! Once we walked in, I thought I had been transported back to the States. All the same coffee blends and every espresso drink on the board -- even a grande, non-fat, no-whip, white chocolate mocha. Wait a minute! How did I get from contemplating a Spartan life-style back to indulging in the ways of the West?

It appears that my shopping outing with Mr. Mok has taught me that no matter where you go on this earth, you are still confronted with the question: How much stuff? -- How much to have? How much to buy? How much to eat? And, . . . how much to leave behind? -- Time for another hike up the hill to my thinking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment