14 September 2009

The Day with Others - The Day Alone


Bonhoeffer writes in Life Together that living in community is a balance between the day with others and the day alone -- between communion and solitude. Beyond the challenges of responding to the demands upon my time, I'm finding that a deeper part of living a balanced life is understanding more of what Brother Bonhoeffer is teaching and then, putting it into better practice.

There is a sense of community here at Handong that I don't believe I have ever experienced before. Possibly it is the fact that nearly all of my daily experiences transpire within close proximity of others on the campus -- or just maybe -- there is truly something about the spirit of the students and faculty here that forms community.

This was impressed upon me again this morning when one of the students I had met last Friday evening, David J. Sparrow, greeted me as I walked across campus. He was sipping a morning coffee on his way to a 10am lecture. I noticed that he looked a bit weary already at mid-morning on Monday. He explained that he had been up at 5 to gather with other students for prayer. That's the spirit of these students!

Nearly every evening you can hear groups singing together -- sometimes their singing goes on late into the night. Sundays are especially full of opportunities to experience the day with others. Since I've been here, I have been invited each Sunday to attend an international service with the Enlow family at one of the local churches in downtown Pohang.

While the entire congregation of Joyful Church is quite large, the gathering of internationals who meet in the afternoon numbers only about 50. They are a wonderful group of believers from many countries throughout the world. The hymns and songs are sung heartily. Our worship leader is from Liverpool, England (and everybody from Liverpool can sing!). Eric Enlow is primarily responsible for the preaching portion of the service. He's been going through an encouraging series on the Covenants.

I've not only been attending the afternoon services with the Enlow's, though. There is a wonderful church gathering right here on campus each Sunday morning at 9. The folks at Handong International Church are a wonderful worshipping community, too! Attending both the morning service on campus and then afternoon services in Pohang makes for a very full day with others. Since I don't have Sandy with me now, I'm inclined to spend as much time with other believers on Sunday's as I can.

Sunday evenings then bring me time in the day alone. Yesterday, I spent the time writing my son Caleb and my daughter-in-law Micaela a hand-written letter which I posted via airmail this morning. I'm realizing afresh a lesson that Caleb has reminded me of several times in the past -- a hand-written letter can be an especially strong means of encouragement to others. Even the Apostle Paul emphasized this truth through his own letters to the Christians in the local churches he had helped to plant. (Galatians 6:11).

The day with others -- the day alone. A balance of community and solitude, conversation and prayer, service and rest, singing and silence. I'm hoping that I will be able to experience the fullness of this balance in life in greater ways during the coming months this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment