09 December 2009

Sitting Down to Dine

This past Friday evening I had the privilege of being invited to the "End of Semester Party" put on by our International Student Union here at Handong. This is the same group that hosted the "open mic" night a few weeks back where I was asked to serve as one of the competition's judges. The invitation came by text message to my mobile. I was further advised that a car would come by to pick me up and transport me to the party venue. In many respects, I felt as if I were being given the VIP treatment.



The evening's festivities did not disappoint in any regard. If fact, the whole experience reflected all of the many and varied dimensions of the cross-cultural engagements I have been provided during my first four months of teaching here. The banquet afforded both traditional Korean dishes as well as a wide selection of entrées from throughout Asia and even a few Western-styled items. Needless to say, we were more than abundantly provided for.

But what was an even a greater blessing, though, was the delight and true joy I experienced from the fellowship of sitting around a table with students from eleven different countries, including Haiti, Congo, Cameroon, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Russia, Mongolia, China, and India. In addition, there were also students from Kenya, Thailand, Philippines and Korea. Nearly all the students joined in both singing and dancing to traditional songs from their home countries. It was one of those evenings that you wish would continue on for hours more.

As I read the Scriptures these days, the phrase “all nations” has begun to stand out in new ways. I sense that I am being given a small preview of the glorious gathering that awaits us when people from every tribe, language, and nation will join together in unity around the throne of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment