15 February 2010

Happy Lunar New Year!

Our first full day here at Handong is actually the first day of the New Year on the Chinese calendar. February 15 marks the beginning of The Year of the Tiger. It seems appropriate that this day mark a new beginning for us. As I look back now, I'm realizing that my first semester was a time of preparation. This semester will be a time of challenge, no doubt, but I trust that it will also be a time of formation and growth both for Sandy and me personally and for us together in our relationship now in our 31st year of marriage.

We'll need to take each day step-by-step -- at a walking pace. Today we walked over to view the new apartment that had been assigned to us only to find that it had several issues that will prevent us moving in. We're making the most of my old studio apartment here in the Mission House where I lived last term. It actually is quite adequate for us.

Sandy even referred to the old apartment as my "tent" since it is just a bit bigger in space than a large family tent we borrowed and used many years ago on one of our family vacations with the kids in Colorado. Sandy has made the most of the limited cooking facilities and has already prepared a wonderful spaghetti dinner and an evening meal of pork mandoo and vegetables. I definitely won't go hungry this semester and it’s very likely that I won't be losing any weight even though I could stand to.

Tomorrow, Sandy will be treated to her first Korean shopping experience by one of the seasoned American faculty member's spouse, Danika. Her husband Eric and their four children have been here for six years. Eric (for my regular readers, you may recall how this faithful brother came to my aid by taking me to the emergency room last August when I cut my finger) has been teaching law at Handong International Law School (the graduate law school here). They're great friends who have shown us warm hospitality.

All in all, it looks like this New Year has begun well. We'll be trusting the Lord for grace each day as it progresses in these coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment