17 February 2010

You Shall Live in Tents

About twelve years ago, when Sandy and I and the kids were moving from a 2,900 sq. ft., two-story colonial (that we had built when I thought I was on my way to becoming a partner at a large law firm) to a 950 sq. ft. ranch walkout in a much older section of Fenton, I began to say -- in a good humored-way -- that I was working my way toward living in a tent. I had left my law practice and had been involved in ministry with a young, small church while also beginning to teach part-time at Missouri Baptist (then) College. Down-sizing came with the territory.

I would joke with the family that "tent-living" was much more in keeping with the pattern of life described in the Bible, but only Caleb and Hannah thought that it sounded like I had a good plan.  Well, it seems that the Lord also has a sense of humor.  He's brought my "aspiration" to fruition in a way I did not anticipate.  It appears that we'll be staying here in what I had referred to last semester as my "hermitage" -- the very small but very adequately appointed studio apartment in the Mission House.  (That's our front door on the first level; I took this picture last August when I first moved-in; those rocks in the front are all covered with snow right now).  It is, however, no longer a hermitage.  Now, it has come to be called our "tent."

It's working-out pretty well, though.  We do have a wonderful scenic view of pine-covered rolling hills out the back through a window that stretches across nearly the entire length of the rear wall of our laundry and storage room with sliding glass floor to ceiling doors separting the laundry room from our studio.  Sandy loves the natural light and the fact that we don't have to climb three flights of stairs with groceries and laundry (the other apartment would have been on the 3d floor of another building).  We've also been promised a second wardrobe which, when it is delivered, will provide sufficient space for all our clothes. 

Other than that, and the fact that none of the apartments on campus have ovens (evidently the Koreans do not do any baking; instead, just steaming, boiling and frying on stove-tops), we pretty much have what is needed to live comfortably.  The studio is, to say the least, close quarters, but hey, aren't you supposed to grow closer and closer over 31 years of marriage!  We are in a land of sojourning here, and tent-living is beginning to suit us fine for the time.

You shall not build a house; you shall not sow seed; you shall not plant or have a vineyard; but you shall live in tents all your days, that you may live many days in the land where you sojourn.  ~ Jeremiah 35:7

No comments:

Post a Comment