30 August 2009

Welcomed into a Worshipping Community

This morning, I was warmly welcomed -- along with other new faculty and students -- into the worshipping community of Handong International Church or "HIC" -- (I'm finding that the folks here really like using acronyms). I thought this was quite appropriate for a feller from Fenton -- I fit in well with the HIC's. (My apologies to my family, friends and neighbors in Fenton).

The service is conducted entirely in English. We sang worship songs that are well-known among American evangelical churches, like "Your Name is a Strong and Mighty Tower" and "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord".

Following the time of singing, the worship leader invited the congregation to gather around those of us -- students and faculty, alike -- who were new to the fellowship (He had asked us to stand). The members of the congregation then prayed for God's blessing upon our time of teaching and learning at Handong. It was a very warm and heart-felt expression of love and welcome!

Pastor Young preached a message from 1 Samuel 2 on the life of Eli. It was an insightful and challenging sermon that called upon us all to examine ourselves and to see whether we are just living outwardly religious lives -- like Eli -- but with the hears of our soul dull to the transformative power of the Word of God.

He spoke from his heart and called upon the congregation to pray for God's mercy. Since Eli's only hope was in the God's promise that "I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who shall do according to what is in my heart and in my mind." (1 Samuel 2:35), so also our only hope is in God Himself -- the Lord Jesus.

He alone has the ability to save us and enable us to live authentic lives even though we are sinners, because He in His mercy forgives and grant us a new heart and renews our spirit in Him!

Following the service, I had the opportunity to meet and begin to get to know several more students from the States -- many from La Tourneau University in Longview, Texas -- as well as new colleagues on the undergraduate faculty. I was also encouraged to see and visit briefly again with Prof. Harry Jee who I had met this past week on the trip to the Immigration Office.

This evening, the church has invited all the new students and faculty to a fellowship dinner. In the photo above, Assistant Pastor Dave Becket is encouraging everyone to come and calling for a show of hands so that they will be sure to have plenty of food. Evidently, eating together is a regular practice of this local church. I thought for sure I would be losing some weight during my first few months living alone here, but now, I'm beginning to think I -- like the ravens -- will be well supplied by my heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment