01 September 2009

Hopalong -- my new Korean name ;-)


I'm walking with a bit of limp these past few days. At first, I thought it might be a shin splint. I'm doing an awful lot of walking -- more than I'm used to, I think. I do enjoy walking, but all I'm doing these days is walking and climbing steps -- lots of them. So, I've been experiencing this throbbing pain in the lower part of my left leg.

I've also been experiencing a bit of swelling in the area. I have been icing it up each evening and elevating it, but the pain is still persisting. This makes the fourth day. I've also started to wear my tennis shoes all the time, thinking that my hard-soled shoes (even though they are Ecco's) may also be contributing to the pain production.

Now, one of my colleagues has suggested that I may have developed a thrombosis. So, I'm taking some extra aspirin (per Sandy's recommendation in her most recent email to me) and I'll be going to see the doctor tomorrow morning -- I'm due to have the regular medical exam that all new international faculty are given in any case, so I'm hoping the doctor will be able to diagnose my pain's origin and provide the needed treatment.

Its good to walk with a limp, though. Jacob did after that late night wrestling match of his. And, I think Paul may have even walked with sort of a limp (whatever that "thorn in the flesh" might have been). So, when we have a limp, we're in good company. Limps remind us that we are always in need of support beyond ourselves -- that we need the grace of Christ for each step. I was reminded of this foundational truth in one of my recent quite time readings:

We have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. ~ 2 Corinthians 4:7

At our best, we are but jars of clay. And in most cases, those jars are marred by cracks. He alone restores and equips us for His purpose in each day! By grace we are saved! So, go ahead, just call me "Hopalong" -- I think it may become my new Korean name.

No comments:

Post a Comment