03 September 2009

Meet Mr. Mok


Earlier this week, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that each professor on the faculty of the School of Law at Handong is entitled to hire a teaching assistant (a "TA" -- remember the fondness for acronyms!). So, I was encouraged by the law school staff to announce to my students that I would be taking applications for a TA. I did, and within moments after my very first class, two eager students approached me and expressed their interest in the job.

I interviewed both a day later and, again to my surprise, found that one of my applicants had both excellent English language skills and experience as a TA for one of the other professors on the law school faculty -- he already knew all of the ropes! Little did I suspect, though, that the scope of duties for a TA here at Handong included not only assistance in making copies of handouts for class and grading papers (like a typical TA in the States) but also helping me arrange and decorate my office, making my morning tea, going shopping for me, providing me a ride into town when needed, helping me obtain a mobile phone, and at the end of every day, even cleaning my office!

I had been told by my good friend Dr. John Han that I would be treated like royalty here, but I never imagined that it would entail having my own personal assistant, chauffeur and butler all rolled into one! But that just what my TA is. So, let me introduce to you, Mr. Younghoon Mok. He is a senior here at Handong majoring in both U.S. & International Law (UIL) and International Relations. He studied for six years in New York and Maryland where he went to Middle School and High School graduating from St. Paul's in Brookandville, Maryland in 2002. (Interestingly, I graduated from St. Paul's [no relation, though] in Concordia, Missouri -- but that was in 1977).

Mr. Mok's English skills are outstanding! He's an absolute whiz on the computer, and he's already started to decorated my office with a nice little plant! The other law school professors have stopped by to say what a good choice I've made. They all know Younghoon as both an excellent student in the UIL program and as an exceptional TA who served one of the senior members of the faculty this past year. I see him as just another one of God's gracious provisions for me here. I am continually amazed by the ways that God encourages us as we seek, by His grace alone, to serve His purpose in this our generation.

I know without a doubt that I've never yet been in a teaching post where I have been so encouraged and supported as I am here teaching at Handong. Its truly wonderful to be enabled to do what you believe you have been designed and equipped by God's call to do -- to serve others according to His will and purpose, day-by-day, step-by-step.

May we be both attentive and obedient to His call today!

No comments:

Post a Comment